Monday, February 20, 2017

A typical day

I am in my 12th hour in this building. It's not that I have been doing school work for 12 hours, but it seems that too many aspects of my life take place here. I started the day at the rec center, went into my 8-hour day of teaching, led a student book club, and am now at my son's intramural basketball game.

At times I love how convenient it is to go from one activity to the next without ever having to drive across town. At other times, I think that I need more of a change of scenery in order to feel like I am getting a break from my work life.

Either way, the score is 37-33 with only 7:00 minutes left, so I need to cheer.

4 comments:

  1. As you know, I can identify. It's hard to avoid spending too much time in your own building. But I get more accomplished here than at home. When I'm at home, there is always laundry to do, something to clean, supper to start, etc., not to mention just spending time with family, which sometimes gets cut short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I am opposite of Becky. I prefer to leave right after school, get home, do a couple of things around home, and once I am comfy cozy, I revisit the whole school work thing if needed. I feel like there is no place like the comfort of my couch in my comfortable clothes when I am away from the stress of school to revisit student work. I often times get so consumed with other things at school also, that I don't know if at school my mind is as focused on their work than it is when I get away from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just spoke with my team last week at our team meeting. I literally broke down because I felt like a chicken with my head cut off. This time of year, I'm reminded, is when conferences happen and grades are due. We desperately need a vacation and so do the kids. And every year, we get through it! I took 3 hours of personal time to grade papers today and plan for my Literacy 720 class. The hours spent doing that made me feel less like a crazy person and more like a positive teacher. Balance is key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am responding to this blog post after school in my classroom. If I go home I will replace my homework time with needs of my family. I like staying in my room, uninterrupted and focused. Then when I go home I can focus on being mom, taxi driver and all around tired person...

    ReplyDelete