Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Beautiful, but . . .

This is my first winter in this house. I have enjoyed watching the change of seasons over our little lake, and the snow today is beautiful. It's easy to get lost in thought while staring at the gently falling flakes that swirl past the window. The white blanket weighs down the evergreen boughs but looks warm and smooths out the jagged edges of the maples' bare branches.

But it's March, and I'm getting restless. I'm ready to be rid of the calm smoothness of a new snow. Bring on the slush and mud that come with warmer temperatures. Bring on the ugly, half-melted snow on the road sides. Bring on those in between days when the ice is too thin to walk on, but too thick to boat on. Bring it all, so that spring (with summer not far behind) can arrive.

4 comments:

  1. Julie,
    Your post is beautiful and the words just roll so smoothly together, like poetry. Thank you for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ryanne:) I am thinking that I could use my blog to get myself to write a variety of things like Penny Kittle suggested. It's still helpful for school but it lets my mind go in more directions.

      Delete
  2. Amen to that! I can't wait for spring! Growing up in California I never experienced real seasons, and never appreciated them. Now, I love spring and fall! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sentiments exactly! I love when the snow piles up in the tree branches and everything is coated in white! It's magical. Unfortunately that is the only thing I like about winter. I often ask my husband why we live up here instead of the tropics. Spring can't come fast enough!

    ReplyDelete