Sunday, March 5, 2017

My love-hate relationship with running

 Yesterday I ran 5 miles in Stevens Point. I was worried about it because since January 1 when I registered, I had not run more than 3.5 miles, and that was one slow and painful run. I thought about just not doing it, but the organization hosting the event limits the number of participants, and they sold out in 1 hour 45 minutes. I didn't want to waste a spot that someone else could have had. So I decided that as long as I kept moving forward and finished, I'd be satisfied.

The first 2 miles felt really good, the third wasn't bad, even after making the turn and getting the wind in my face. I made it 4 miles before taking a brief walk break to catch my breath. I was happy to see the finish line when I turned the last corner, and though my legs were getting tired, I felt great for the rest of the day just as I knew I would.

I wish I were one of those people who could say that I love running and I can't wait to get out there each day. I'm not. I know how good I feel after it's all over, but I have to talk myself into it every time. My husband does not understand the phenomenon of paying to run (even after I show him the t-shirts I've collected), but I need the pressure of possible public humiliation to motivate me to train. I need to know that I will have wasted money if I don't try to meet or improve my past times. And I need to know there is a fun reward at the end.

Do you think that is the way many of our students feel about the work we assign them? Do they feel a personal investment? Are there enough fun rewards along the way to motivate them? What will it take for more students to talk themselves into getting out there?

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting way to think about it. I was very discouraged today because one of my seniors clearly feels he has no personal investment in his own education. He came into the room with no supplies, put his head down on his desk almost immediately, and did almost nothing for the entire block. The students had time to work on the storyboards they were creating, which was an engaging assignment for almost everyone else (and they could even work with a partner of their own choice). But this young man wouldn't even help his partner finish the project. When I asked him if he wasn't feeling well, his response was "I'm sick of school." I guess graduation in less than three months isn't enough to motivate him.

    ReplyDelete