Saturday, March 11, 2017

Don't Stop Believing

Yesterday our school had a brief assembly that was put together rather quickly. The students asked that staff take part in a lip sync contest. With all of our coaching, advising, IEP's, family, and other obligations, it was difficult to find a time that we could all meet and practice. But through email and lunch conversations, we planned and then practiced as a group for the first time about 3 hours before the assembly. I don't think we are ready to take our show on the road quite yet, but the kids enjoyed it.

In school and in my personal life, I often get so caught up in what I have to teach, whether I'm incorporating enough technology, who needs more help, how am I going to provide that, am I meeting the standards, what meeting do I have today, how can I better assist other teaches, etc, etc, etc, that I forget to have fun. It was refreshing to really laugh and to share the experience with colleagues and the student body. I think the most common comment was "we need to do this more often', and I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right, Julie. It really was fun. We need to do more fun things AS A SCHOOL. Reaching ninth grade should not mean that students are constantly driven to achieve everything in the Common Core and 25's on their ACT with no regard for the people they are. If they see school as a fun place, they will probably be more anxious to reach the academic goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOunds like fun, and I bet the kids just loved it. I am glad to hear that your staff was willing to do something to entertain the students. We sometimes get teachers who aren't willing to put themselves out there like that.

    ReplyDelete